- Types of cast iron baths
- Most popular sizes
- Technology of making cast iron baths
- How to choose a cast iron bath
- Installation of a cast iron bath
- Restoration of a cast iron bath
Despite the choice of materials from which to make baths, many are unchanged in their decision and prefer to buy a cast-iron bath, rather than a font from another material. Why?
- Cast-iron baths are made of cast iron covered with a strong enamel, which is not afraid of cold or hot water.
- Cast-iron baths are better than baths of another material, keep the water temperature. And, means, you can get warm in it much longer.
- Cast iron - the material is durable, not subject to corrosion.
Among the shortcomings can be mentioned decent weight, considerable cost (and what is now cheap) and standard forms, sizes. Although you can argue with the last statement.
Modern technology allows you to make a bath of any shape and any size to fit it into the hygiene room.
Types of cast iron baths
It was in Soviet times cast-iron baths were single colors, mainly white, rarely blue or greenish, the same size and one, the standard shape - rectangular. Now lovers of classical baths can enjoy such diversity.
There are different types of baths:
- in the form of a bean.
There are they are wall-mounted and angled. And there is no need to talk about the availability of colors. If you want a black one, please. Not enough contrast? Choose a bright cast-iron bath for your interior.
Manufacturers went further and offer to the baths convenient and practical additions:
- legs for a cast-iron bath;
- special panels;
- chrome handles;
- recesses for the knees;
- holes for hydromassage;
- grooves for soap, gels and so on.
Of course, all these amenities affect the price, as, indeed, the very size itself.
Most popular sizes
- The cast iron bath 170x70 cm base model will cost an average of 11,000-20,000 rubles.
- The cast-iron bath 150x70 cm costs a little cheaper, about 9500-15000 rubles.
There are other sizes of the cast iron bath. Let's give their approximate cost.
- 120x70 cm - from 9000 rubles.
- 160x70 cm - can cost and 24500 rubles.
- Babies 100x70 cm will cost 18000 rubles. And sitting - at 26,000 rubles.
- Baths 140x70 - from 14000 to 25000 rubles.
- Spacious baths of 200x85 cm cost about 46,000 rubles.
Baths of other sizes: 130x70, 150x75, 140x70, 150x80, 160x80, 180x90 and 180x80
Obviously, the deviation from the standard sizes results in a rise in price. But cast-iron baths are worth it.
Technology of making cast iron baths
The market has domestic and foreign baths. And in making them there are differences. However, the basis is the same, tested and tested for years. There is a mold into which molten iron is poured. When the metal cools down, scale is removed from the surface, unevenness, it is polished. Earlier it was done almost manually. Now everything is done automatically, and good cast iron baths are obtained - smooth and smooth. Further enamel is applied.
What is the difference between domestic and imported baths?
- Our baths have a thicker layer of cast iron, and therefore the baths are heavier, and the enamel layer is thinner. In addition, zirconium salt is added to the enamel to increase the service life. However, as practice has shown, the salt is porous, and therefore the enamel can be scratched, and rust can penetrate into the pores.
- Imported beauties are less weighty, which means that they have a thinner base layer. But the enamel is thicker and stronger. Titanium salts are added to the enamel for strength strength. The finishing process is manual, in order to smooth out another layer of enamel in case of unevenness.
Not so long ago in the world of sanitary ware there was a novelty - a cast iron bath with a varnish coating in three layers. The surface was smoother. Such models reliably occupied their niche, leaving even import ones.
How to choose a cast iron bath
Cast iron bath is purchased not for one year. In addition, having installed it in the bathroom, it is unlikely to want to mess with it, to take it to the dump and change it to a new one. Therefore, to the choice of this subject of the bathroom we approach with all responsibility.
- Scrupulously measure the opening where the bath will stand. The size of the tub should be slightly smaller. You always need to leave some gap.
- Determine what depth, if you want, displacement, you need a bath.
- Look, whether the surface is smooth at the bath inside, whether there are chips, cracks.
- Compare several suitable models for the price, the warranty period, the maximum period of use. It often happens that the price of a bath is dictated by the manufacturer, not quality.
- Where the sink is located - in the center or on the side. Is there a "drain-overflow" system. In some models, the mixer can be installed in the end.
- If the bath is on legs, are they adjustable in height? Are they strong enough to withstand the weight of the bath, the water in it and the bathing person.
- If there are additional devices, whether they are well attached, do not walk in the grooves and holes.
- Are there any accessories? Perhaps you want a cast iron bath with handles or a headrest.
An optional, but important point of the purchase is transportation and delivery to the floor.
Installation of a cast iron bath
Usually the installation of a bath is done by specialists. But knowledge will not hurt. So it will be easier to see if everything is done properly.
- The bathroom is brought into the bathroom and turned upside down.
- The legs are attached to the bottom for special brackets.
- To the bath is connected the drain-overflow system, drainage armature, siphon.
- The bath is turned onto the legs and leveled using a level.
- If the bath is near the wall, the gap is sealed with silicone sealant. This will not allow water to flow into the bath. And you will be spared from constant dampness.
- The drainage fittings are connected to the sewerage.
- It is recommended that the bath is grounded.
- The final stage is filling with water and lowering the water to see if everything is correctly connected, whether there is any leaks.
And now, you have a bath. Do not dive into it at once. Pour first 7 liters of cold water, and then hot. The enamel or varnish is new and must first be tempered in this way.
Restoration of a cast iron bath
If you already have a bath, do you need to change it? What for? You can perform an operation called "restoration of a cast iron bath."
You can restore the old bath in three ways.
This, in fact, the bath in the bath. Independently to perform the task is unrealistic, since the acrylic liner is manufactured in the production according to the dimensions taken from a particular bath. In this case, it can be of arbitrary shape and any color.
The liner with a bathroom is fastened with special glue, preliminary having tried on, having cut off superfluous. The joint of the liner and the tiles are filled with a sealant.
At the end of the work in the bath, water is collected and left for a day.
The old cast-iron bath will become as new, if it is newly enameled.
Preliminary prepare the surface.
- Clean the powder without chlorine.
- Straight through the powder pass nazhdachkoy or grinding wheel.
- Wash away the garbage.
- Degrease the surface.
- Heat the bath for 10 minutes.
- Drain the water and dry the bowl
Now, with a brush or spray (less often), enamel is applied to the inner surface of the bath. Brush is better to take a natural. The layers must be at least 2. Layers should be smooth, without bubbles. Otherwise, the enamel will break off soon.
The bath is left for a week. Then it can be used.
The flood method
Here the bath is filled with liquid acrylic. But it must also be prepared. The preparatory stage is exactly the same as when enameling.
Liquid acrylic is poured on the perimeter of the bathtub from above. Acrylic take so much that it drips over the walls. At the bottom of the bowl, acrylic is smoothed with a staple, as near walls.
Bay the first layer, just pour the second layer. The bath is left for 5 days. Then it can be used.
Time has shown that cast-iron baths are the most reliable. Think about whether to change them to new-fangled?